Monday, April 27, 2009

Oh the things I learnt on the way to the dentist....



1. Wear underwear and/or tights with a short denim skirt (as approved by my grandmother, no doubt)

As I was climbing the stairs on the doubleDecker bus, I happen to glance up only to be "greeted" by two very white ass checks....my first thought was "thong"? After that, I couldn't muster up a second thought .....

2. Always carry a quarter

Just as one tends to clean up a bit for the annual pap smear, I wanted to make sure I didn't offend my dentist with jungle breath. I wandered in to the Market on Yates in search of a gum ball machine as I was pretty sure I had a quarter....alas, I did not. I had 3 dimes and 4 nickels (50 cents for all you mathematicians) but not enough for a gum ball - how crushing

3. Nostalgia will strike in the strangest place

As I could not justify paying for a single pack of gum with debit, I wandered over to the cooler to buy a drink; and there, nestled in with overpriced organic cane sugar pops was a bottle of The Pop Shoppe pop (Black Cherry to boot, my favourite). The red circle with white print is a beacon of my childhood as my grandpa always kept a ready supply in the small fridge in the basement: stubby bottles filled with candy-coloured frizzy drinks we never got a home. My grandpa made sure there was a selection: lemon lime, orange, grape, cola; and we would drink these forbidden treats as we played pool or danced around the room to Bony M's "Rasputin". To me, The Pop Shoppe is a symbol - silly, I know; but I still bought a bottle and enjoyed the fizzy drink as I waited for the dentist. I then carefully put the cap back on and placed the bottle in my bag, so that I could take it to work and be nostaligic whenever the mood strikes.

And this all happened on the way to the dentist.....

\

No comments:

Post a Comment