Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What I did this weekend....

So, quiet weekend planned, visiting family up island....decide to go for a walk in nature. Park the car, about to get out, automatically grab my messenger bag. D tells me to leave my bag in the trunk.....do I need it? My intuition is to say no, its coming with; instead, I blindly agree. As we're pulling ourselves together, I notice an older man standing by a fence, looking casually around. He's in his late 50s, early 60s, nothing memorable except he is wearing dark blue nylon ski boots. Uh, odd, I think. He mutters "Good morning", we think nothing of it. We loose track of the guy when we go and look at a map with our young son. As we head off on the path, the guy walks by us and mutters 'good morning" again - and I notice he won't make eye contact. It hits me hard - this guy is insanely creepy. I want to leave, grab my family, and get the hell out of there. I mention to D that I should get my cell, trying to find an excuse to go back to the car - D assures me that he has his, no worries. Off we go and eventually I relax.....

On the way back, after 30mins of walking, exploring and taking pictures, we walk back - planning to get some lunch, pickup some groceries, only to be stopped by a young couple with their dog. They warn us that three cars had their windows smashed, including a little black car - our car. I feel like sound is being sucked out and time has slowed down as we make our way to parking lot. There's our car - minus the driver's side window. I stare at the broken glass as D pops the trunk- sure enough, my bag is gone. As I am about to cry in disbelief, my son tells me he has to go pee - and I am brought back to reality. I remind myself that no one was hurt, that the guy was only after money and things he could pawn; however, it stings and feels personal. He saw me with my son, he saw that we were a family - he looked and saw us. How can I not take it personally? But logic tells me that the guy saw an opportunity; and that is all we were - the right opportunity at the right time.

What was taken? My wallet with all my id, and $7 in change, a crappy cell phone, a library book (fck!) and my beloved Keen messenger bag.......the worth? For the guy, $7; for me, a couple of hundred dollars to replace everything (car, bag, id, etc) and a ruined weekend as we clean up after the mess. What have I learnt? Listen to my intuition and never trust a man wearing nylon ski boots in the middle of May....but at least no one was hurt ( and I mean that sincerely).

No comments:

Post a Comment