Thursday, June 25, 2009

The death of icons

Within a matter of days, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson have all died. Ed was no surprise, as he was old (strange to say, but true really). Farrah's death was a blessing as she had been so sick. MJ was shocking - some may compare it to Elvis's - icon in 50s, maybe drug related....

So why do I care? I didn't know these people....and yet I did. My childhood memories involve all 3 in one capacity or another. I read a status of a 18 year old who suggested people to get over it; another 15 year old questioned why anyone cared about the death of a perv....so let me explain.

Ed McMahon

I remember him sitting on the couch with Johnny, laughing away at some joke I didn't get.

I remember him on Bloopers with Dick Clark.

I remember the Publisher's Clearance House Sweepstakes ads - "look for the envelope with my face on it!"

I remember Ed always being on the tv, like a grandfather; however, I always imagined he could have a dark side - like the camera would shut off, and Ed would be quite vulgar and crass.



Farrah Fawcett

I remember watching Charlie's Angels with my sister; and we never chose to be Farrah's character as she just seemed out of our league....even at a young age, we knew that Farrah was something amazing.

I remember the infamous poster. I don't know if I knew anyone who had it on his walls....but I remember the poster.

I remember her with Ryan O'Neal and wonder why? She seemed so beautiful and he seemed so ....not beautiful.

I remember her on David Letterman and knew why she was with Ryan.

I remember her being a kooky has-been who was once considered the most beautiful woman in the world.



Michael Jackson

I remember being given 3 albums for Christmas in 1983 when I was 11 -Culture Club, Colour by Numbers, Bryan Adams, Cuts Like a Knife, and Michael Jackson, Thriller. Those albums were influential and my introduction into pop culture. That is when I started to watch "Good Rockin' Tonight", Much Music, and music videos.

I remember being in grade six and watching a couple of classmates go hysterical he showed up on What's New; and I remember my teacher being completely disgusted by this.

I remember the single glove and the vinyl-red jacket; and I remember the jacket showing up in red or black at Kmart.

I remember laughing when Weird Al did "Eat It".

I remember being mesmerized by "Black or White".

I remember being horrified by the physical transformation over time, wondering, what the hell?

I remember hearing about "Neverland", wondering, what the hell?

I remember hearing the allegations, marriage to Lisa Maria, the children, wondering, seriously, WHAT THE HELL?

I remember feeling very sorry for the man-child who had, in my mind, everything and yet had nothing.

I remember thinking that he had been used by so many.


So why do I care? Because I remember all this as I was growing up, becoming an adult, and its part of my fabric. I can understand why someone at 18, 15, would not get it.....so let me bring it down to their level. This week is like having Ryan Seacrest, Miley Cryus and all three Jonas Brothers all passing away within two days.....shocking and hard to imagine, right?

1 comment:

  1. I read your last line to Hayley - and she was shocked - but suddenly got it. Icons from your youth - whatever the icon was - is just that. Shocking!

    ReplyDelete