Friday, June 12, 2009

Does it matter?

Why do we care so much about another person's sexuality? On 20/20, one of the segments is on an American Idol finalist being gay - and? The segment started with how there is great debate going on in Amercia: is he or isn't he GAY? What's his sexual identity? My question is - why do we care?

Straight. Gay. Hetero. Homo. Bi-sexual. Bi-curious. Why do we have to have these labels? Why do I need to know that Tom Cruise is definitely a heterosexual? Would he be less convincing in his role as "Maverick" if I knew that he was gay in real life?

But there is a stress to define one's sexuality or that person is shrouded in speculation, poked and prodded by the media until they are forced to come out. Hmmmmm, Kevin Spacey is never seen with a woman AND he loves acting in the theatre -gay? Edie Falco adopted a child on her own - lesbian? Who cares! When I watch someone act, or hear someone sing, I appreciate (or hate) their talent, not what (or who) they are doing in the bedroom.

Am I curious to know if a major Hollywood star is gay? Yea, I admit it, I am. Does this make me a hypocrite? I will ponder this as I cruise through Perez's site to see who he is speculating about today *wink*

Baby, it doesn't matter at the end of the day.....I will love you just the same

No comments:

Post a Comment