Saturday, June 6, 2009

The invasion of the cell phone

I would say it was a generational thing, the invasion of the cell phone; however, I beg to differ. I see all walks of life, all ages, yakking away on the cell phone whenever, whatever. On the bus, walking down the street, in cars and shops. I was making my way through Costco today, participating in the weekly pilgrimage to the mecca store; and I swear there was a rash of calls made in Costco while I was there. The emergencies included what type of chips to buy for a family get-together (Well I know most people like sour cream and onion, but you know how Uncle Earl is!), did someone need a pair of shorts (No, they're super cute! Not too long, not too short, and they come in 3 colours. Should I get you a pair?) to when someone was expected home (I don't know what time we'll be home - we have to finish our shopping and get some gas...). I saw older grandmothers on their cellphones, men, etc - it was like an epidemic.

When did we start making phone calls while we shop? When did it become a necessity? It reminds me of how there are certain styles that really suit slim people; however, companies now make the style in all size. One must pause and think, just because they make it in that size, doesn't mean you should wear it. Just because you can make a phone call while you shop, doesn't mean you have to make it. Convenience is great; however, don't overdo it.

It should be noted that I so rarely used my cellphone that I couldn't even give the number to Virgin Mobile when I called to cancel it after the phone was stolen......I just don't get the addiction. Again, I would say its a generation thing; however, the 86 year old woman describing the variety of chips available at Costco would beg to differ

No comments:

Post a Comment